In 2015, approximately 4.4 million people were injured in car accidents on U.S. roads. Injuries in car accidents can range from bruises and scrapes to fatal blows, and everything in between. If you or a loved one was recently injured in a car accident, likely the first thing that you thought about was physical safety. But the fear and anxiety of being in a car accident can quickly be overcome by dread when you receive medical bills from hospital stays and surgeries. And, especially if the accident wasn’t even your fault or was only partially your fault, those bills can become both overwhelming and infuriating. When involved in a fender bender or mild car accident, many people don’t think to hire a lawyer. But when a car accident results in a hospital stay or time off of work, you need to think about hiring legal help.
In some cases, your insurance company and that of the other driver may come to quick resolutions that seem fair to you. Much of the time, however, this won’t happen. There are a variety of reasons you should consider hiring a lawyer after a car accident. If you don’t feel the settlement was fair to you, particularly if you believe that you are owed much more financial compensation than you received, a lawyer can help you. In addition, legal experts can aid you if you were partially at fault for the accident. For example, in some states, fault can be split between the parties involved in the accident. If there were two drivers involved in the accident, it may be decided that you deserve 30% of the fault while the other drive deserves 70% of the fault. In this situation, because the other driver was not entirely at fault, it can be tricky to get the financial compensation you deserve. A lawyer can help you navigate the complexities of the legal and insurance systems when things aren’t straightforward or clean-cut.
Even if the situation is clearly the other driver’s fault and you are compensated for your medical bills, settlement can get chaotic surrounding lost wages. If you are employed in a job that does not simply compensate you for a set salary or hourly wage, it can be difficult to prove how much you have lost in wages due to your injuries. For example, this applies if you earn commission as a salesperson or if you are a business owner without a set salary. A lawyer can help you prove your lost wages in cases such as these, and get you the financial compensation you rightly deserve.
If you aren’t sure whether or not you need a lawyer after an automobile accident, it may be beneficial to speak with an attorney in your area. Whether you’re looking for car accident lawyers in Nashville, TN, or in Portland, OR, don’t be shy about asserting your legal rights and finding representation for your car accident settlement.